Questions!

• Hi, I've got lots of questions and if anyone would like to answer them it would be greatly appreciated!

1. How successful are the Beatsteaks? Are they big in Germany?
    2. Do they have any new records or songs coming out?
    3. Who are their biggest influences? (i know they like the cure and the clash)
    4. Is it true their first gig was with the Sex Pistols?
    5. Do they use a different guitar tuning for their songs? if so, what is it?
    6. Who writes the majority of the songs?
    7. How has Arnim got such a husky voice?
    8. Do people in Germany not find it strange that they sing mainly in English?
    9. When are they next coming to England? I missed their last tour!
    10. Who is the most popular member of the band?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions!

• Hi Jon! Welcome to the forum! It is great to see more people join from all corners of the world! :)

I am currently packing as im at my parents and cannot answer your questions in detail so i will answer a couple and then maybe me or someone else can answer the others during the next day or so.

Well they are pretty popular, especially their live shows. Since the album Smack Smash came out they have had a rapidly growing fan base.
    I am not sure how to define 'big' but they are pretty well known and will sell out big concert venues and draw massive crowds at festivals which they have headlined as well.

I am currently wondering this too. I reckon they will be recording again soon, but im a little bit out of the loop...maybe someone else knows more?

I think their influences are pretty varied, even ranging to bands like the beastie boys, the misfits...but more on this later.

They won a band competition where they got to play in a big concert venue as the support of the sex pistols...so in a way yes, their first concert was with the sex pistols...i may have written more on this in the history section.

I am not paticularly musical so i will investigate this for you and find out. ;)

I think Thomas is pretty involved in a lot of the writing but need to check this.

7. How has Arnim got such a husky voice?

I think this is pretty natural...but he had an operation on his vocal cords recently as he had a cyst on them...luvckily it didnt affect his style of vocals too much.

People in Germany grow up with much more varied music than in Britain...like the lyrics are boften in other languages...ie Spanish, English, Italian, Turkish...so it isn't really weird.
    They also have a couple of German songs which are highlights at gigs!

I'll definately keep you updated on this! i managed to only get to the london gig and it was really good! i love their live shows!

With the girls? Arnim i would say. I am not too sure though as i don't keep track of that. I personally have had a good conversation with Bernd before but each member is very nice and down to earth and they like the fan contact and to have a drink and a chat after gigs.

I hope this helps a bit. like i said i will investigate the other things and elaborate a bit. :)

speak soon!

[align=center][B]!Homophobia is Gay![/B][/align][align=center][URL=http://www.myspace.com/dollandthekicks][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/punkmik/datk3.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/align]
  • Cool, thanks for the info.

I have seen a few of the videos on youtube and their live performances look awesome. I may have to pay a trip to Germany to catch them playing!

It's surprising that Thomas has a big part in the song writing because I always assumed it would be Arnim or Bernd, not sure why I thought that!

Did you travel all the way to England just to watch them play? I know a few people do that watch the Living End aswell!

I suppose in England we are used to hearing people singing in English, I couldn't imagine liking a song by a band if I didn't understand the lyrics, but in the case of the Beatsteaks I even like their german songs. I'm going to have to learn german so i can sing along.

• Zitat

Original von Punkmik

I am not paticularly musical so i will investigate this for you and find out. ;)

They're using two tunings...standard and half step down, so everyone has at least two (bass) guitars on stage to change...

[align=center] .access adrenalin [IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/abphotography/tanziwmv-1.gif[/IMG] [/align]
  • So they have 2 guitars that are tuned EADGBE but then one of the guitars is tuned DADGBE? I noticed on the youtube video of them playing hail to the freaks live Bernd was playing a bass guitar.

• Ah no, it's one EADGBE and one Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb each.

It's Peter playing the bass guitar on Hail to the Freaks, not Bernd...

(Sorry, my english isn't the best)

[align=center] .access adrenalin [IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/abphotography/tanziwmv-1.gif[/IMG] [/align]
  • Zitat

Original von Jon
    So they have 2 guitars that are tuned EADGBE but then one of the guitars is tuned DADGBE? I noticed on the youtube video of them playing hail to the freaks live Bernd was playing a bass guitar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Peter who plays the bass :)

I'll try to answer a few questions.

I guess you can say that they are very big, if you define "big" as headlining a festival. :) selling out a 17000-arena is quite massive. and they did so.
    No one really knows, they're having a break and god only knows what they are doing now (musically of course g).
    In interviews they often say that each and every member has their own influences but there are some on which the agree. Like "The Clash", "Beastie Boys"," Rage against the Machine" and so on..
    No clue, to be honest.
    Don't ask me about that haha
    They say they write together, but Thomas writes a lot.
    I always wondered that as well but Germans grew up with English and German lyrics. It's normal :)
    Keep on checking www.beatsteaks.org. There you'll find the latest news.
    To me, all of them :) But as usual, the frontmen gets the most attention.

• Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful!

I think I'm confused about who Peter and Bernd are. I thought Bernd was the guy who plays the Gibson Les Paul?

I eventually understand the tuning now! I'll give it a go on my guitar.

• No, Peter's playing Les Paul guitars, stage right (from the crowd)...

I like to play the guitar half step down, it sounds more...powerful :mrgreen:

• What guitar do you play?

I find that when you play with it D-tuned it sounds very powerful, but it's much easier to play when it's just tuned standard.

I love playing Beatsteaks songs though, I've learned Soothe Me (acoustic), I just wish I could sing like Arnim.

• what is the most popular beatsteaks song? (e.g. by sales)
    what is the most popular beatsteaks album?
    what does the child say at the end of cut off the top?
    are there any german bands bigger than beatsteaks? (i think ramnstein might be german?)

• what is the most popular beatsteaks song? (e.g. by sales)
    - i dont have any sales figures but i would say "i don't care as long as you sing" is very, very popular

what is the most popular beatsteaks album?
    -"SmackSmash" or their latest regular album ".limbo messiah"

what does the child say at the end of cut off the top?
    - "Kreuzberg, Kreuzberg!": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreuzberg

are there any german bands bigger than beatsteaks? (i think ramnstein might be german?)
    - yeah, Rammstein are german and they are quite big all over the world, i guess. when i went to england it was the only german band they knew.
    But theres still some bands in germany, thare bigger than the beatsteaks in germany, for example "Die Toten Hosen" and "Die Ärzte" (yepp, thats "The Dead Pants" and "The Doctors" translated). But they sing mostly in german.
    And yeah well, theres these idiots that are bigger than Beatsteaks, even in the USA: "Tokio Hotel". I can't understand why anyone likes them.

Oh, and I think the show with the Sex Pistols was their 10th concert.

Rumkommen mit den Beatsteaks, done: Köln-Dortmund-Nürburgring-Scheeßel-Bristol-Eupen-Eindhoven-Brüssel-Landgraaf

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 Mal editiert, zuletzt von j3n5 ()

• i find it hard to judge bigger in terms of bands but some you may have heard of include maybe the Technoband Scooter?
    I wouldnt necessarily propose that they are bigger but maybe more widely known.
    all my housemates know them but not the Beatsteaks.

[align=center][B]!Homophobia is Gay![/B][/align][align=center][URL=http://www.myspace.com/dollandthekicks][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/punkmik/datk3.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/align]